Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Siera's Leavitt/Hoiland Post

The form is what really made "My Book of Life by Angel". First, because of they way it made you move as a reader. I felt instantly caught up in the story, because the form flowed so quickly. Second, because the poetic form allowed things to be left to the imagination, which in some ways made it worse. It kinda set the tone, something that is done in secret and not really talked about, in form that isn't explicit in what it is talking about.
I really like the entry on page 25 about her father. She uses such great character description. She describes by his sill childhood actions (and then goes back full circle to that at the end), a story about his life being preserved, and then his decision not to go on a mission. She tells the story of her dad coming back to the church in a way that not only helps us know that she had a father that was re-activated and a mother that wasn't a member, but also we come to know who her father is and what he means to her. I think in my own personal essay I can use descriptions about peoples lives in order to explain my circumstances, instead of just stating them straight out. 

1 comment:

  1. The story about her father definitely was a nice diversion-reveal. It also nicely molded her perspective with her father's. Something that you really can't do unless you've lived at both ages. I also didn't realize just how much content was packed in that story until you broke it down.

    ReplyDelete