Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Ana's Martine Leavitt / Hoiland Response


As I was reading My Book of Life by Angel, I thought it was interesting that throughout the book she would bring up Milton’s Paradise Lost, as well as some biblical imagery. Before the interview, I thought that had contributed to the form (as Paradise Lost is an epic poem, and Angel seemed to enjoy him a lot); however, she brought up that the form provided a distance between the story and he readers (as she’s broken, and writing to herself, it gives her voice). As I was reading, I found myself cringing in certain parts because of the struggles, and feeling sad for Angel. She didn’t make it graphic as she could’ve, so I wasn’t focused with the specifics, but, instead, Angel’s perception and feelings were present for me. I also liked, going back to the interview, that through poetry, she was able to tell the truth in the way she presented her story.  

In One Hundred Birds Taught Me to Fly, on pg. 70, her mission companion tells her “we are not here to save them, we are only here to minister to them.” Throughout the first 1/3 of the book she contemplates saving and what it means to be “lost.” As she does so, she is vulnerable, as she talks about her own family and some of the people she met throughout her life (for example, marriage, divorce, and death). That vulnerability helps shape her character and the story.

3 comments:

  1. I like your emphasis on vulnerability. That was definitely a theme throughout. Her first and second impressions sections also bring out that vulnerability as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I think the vulnerability is a key part of the story and her writing. Her story definitely depends on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, if you are going to be writing something in poetry, there isn't a lightning rod larger than Paradise Lost. This adds so much depth to a piece that is rich in experience, but now cross examines itself in history

    ReplyDelete