Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Marcus's Leavitt/Hoiland Post


1.    The author mentioned different methods of her writing, like using poetry forms to provide a different style of reading. If I remember correctly, she created the story in this form for a couple of reasons: 1. Because that’s just how the story ended up as she started writing it. 2. Poetry allowed her to write about difficult moments without being too graphic or specific. 3. The form created an interesting connection between the reader and the story – it was a truer form to tell the story. It made it more real. As for morals and LDS angles of her writing, she demonstrated the reliance of miracles. The author mentioned that many of these young girls turn to Christ because they have literally nowhere else to turn. She used this fact to increase the addition of miracles to the story. However, the author leaves it open ended, because she didn’t want the ending to be too glorious – many of the times, these young women only live up to 5 years once immersed in drugs and prostitution.
2.    “…A pretty useless word, really, but the fact that someone took the time to teach it to us, to say. it over several times until we got it and the Remy held the snail up to his eyes and said snigel means I will cherish that word as a passed-on treasure until I am old and forget all my words.” (Pg. 10)
I really liked how this part stood out among others even though she is very descriptive in her details throughout the book. She used a simple word and phrase to create an entirely new meaning which produced a deep reflecting moment. It is details like this that I would like to remember and put into my own writing. As I had mentioned before, writing boldly helped me remember details I had forgotten, but by replicating this style and approach, I think details will come back to me and I’ll be able to write them in a unique way. There are simple things in life that can have a great impact, and it is important to show that in my writing. At times I want to focus on this big moments, but the little ones pack a big punch as well.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the snail segment of that story as well. I feel like Hoilland's voice just comes through so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed and loved the details used throughout the story. It didn't seem over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the use of details that Hoiland incorporates. This smaller moments are what help to increase her faith and often I think we want to think on the bigger moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you did a really good recap of what we talked about in the Leavitt interview. I was also surprised at how religious these girls are despite the "deed" that the commit as their trade. The statistic of the girls only living 5 years was appalling to me, thats why i think it stuck out so much!

    ReplyDelete