Monday, October 21, 2019

Katy's Bold Writing

My bold writing wasn't the most literary of things. It started out as an outpouring of question after question. These were things that had been on my mind since my mission. Little idiosyncratic elements of our faith and testimonies. These ideas and seeing them on paper led me to keep writing, trying to find resolution, honest resolution to these questions. This is a difficult thing to do, I discovered. It is so simple to say, well, maybe I just don't get to have the answers during this life. But I don't know that I believe that. Joseph Smith got answers when he asked, so why can't I? Is part of the reason for the church's seeming slow-down in doctrinal revelation the focus on orthodox Mormonism?

These are a few of the ideas that I tried to explore in my writing, and truly, it felt really good to write about these things. I feel like I understand better now where I am in relation to my testimony. There are a lot of questions I still have, and I think I need to continue writing about those questions to find answers.

5 comments:

  1. I like the point that is the worth of this writing style is the simple ability to ask these necessary questions. Also, to challenge the integrity of you belief. In this format, you were able to do so in a safe but altogether useful format. I think that is one of the more important objectives of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way in that my bold writing is a series of bulletted questions and not a literary masterpiece. I think that this a good way to brainstorm and also makes one stop and notice any patterns among these questions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think starting things off with questions is a great way to start a bold essay. The word Essay itself means to try. When we have questions and we explore them, we are able to wander in those thoughts and hopefully make more sense of our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you mentioned that this process helped you to establish where you are at in relation to your testimony. I feel like in general, this process really does help us to identify where we stand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting thought that it's seemed in the past that the seemingly slow down in revelation has more of a focus on orthodox mormonism. I've often wondered why Joseph Smith seems to have received much "more" revelation than later prophets. I think he wasn't afraid to ask, as you have mentioned here. And if he wasn't afraid, and we honor him for that, then why should we?

    ReplyDelete