Monday, October 21, 2019

Cameron's Bold Writing Blog Reflection


My attempt at “bold writing,” was not literary as it too involved a sequence of questions. I appreciated the fact that I didn’t have to worry about an audience when writing, defining terms unknown to an audience, expounding on ideas that I’ve been mulling over for months, etc. It felt good to write freely, but as I did so, I found my mind slowly wandered to deeper, almost scarier issues and questions that I didn’t know I have been struggling with. It’s interesting that the Church, which has become such an integral part of my identity, makes it difficult to question discrepancies within the religion even through a lens of faith. Perhaps, I complained a little too much at the beginning, however, I’m grateful that this assignment had a 1000-word minimum limit. Having a goal to write more helped stretch my vocabulary, ideas, and restitutions. Though this journal entry sparked questions, I can’t say that writing a 1500-word journal entry has allowed me to sort through all struggles with the particular issue, but it has helped me reflect and re-center the whirlwind of thoughts and emotions that were prevalent. For me, I think that finding some type of restitution was crucial, to keep writing, not just to list the issues at hand, but to look at things from an alternative perspective. Keeping an open mind, of course, enhanced my understanding of the issue.

2 comments:

  1. I felt really similarly. Especially about not having to explain words or concepts to an audience who might not understand me, which isn't something I expected to feel from this assignment. It was nice to not be concerned about explaining myself perfectly or being misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you say more what you mean by restitutions?

    ReplyDelete