Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Kendal's Leavitt/Hoiland

I loved reading Leavitt's book. In fact, it is what has sparked yet again my love for reading. It has been a long time since I have wanted to read just to read because I enjoy it. The fact that the book was written in verse made the reading more light and more enjoyable. I love poetry so, it was lovely. While I was reading it, I was kind of shocked that we were assigned to read it for class as I considered the content. After listening to the author speak about her work, I understood the morality of it all. She's an advocate for homeless people and homeless girls. By telling this girl's story, she not only spreads awareness, but also sheds light on the hope that comes through enduring and doing what's right no matter the situation.

As for this new reading, a passage that is sticking with me is that of the graveyard starting on page 8. She just kind of jumps into the scene there in the cemetery. This goes back to the concept of in redias reis like Shakespeare does. This type of form reminds me of how the thought process goes. We are reminded of things and our mind gets going without any background really until the analysis begins in the middle of the writing when it is relevant. Cleaning up gravestones and whatnot moves to the fact that she was with her children out of the country. Those layers are really interesting to me. I think  I would like to try that in my writing. Starting my writing in this creative way would be something I would try.

No comments:

Post a Comment