Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Dorothy Leavitt / Hoiland

I loved the opportunity we had to meet Martine Leavitt. Hearing her personal connection to the topics that she addresses in her books make it seem crucial for writers to use their voices and address topics that are relevant to them. While her subject matter was heavy and at times overwhelming to recognize the realities of how others live, it also helps one as a reader to develop a greater sense of empathy. I appreciated her honesty in sharing how difficult it was for her to write in free verse. While conveying an entire story with characters and depth in this way is difficult, it addresses an unpleasant topic in a more simplistic light. I think that this would be an interesting project to attempt to encapsulate a story or feeling through free verse. I also liked how she did not focus on didacticism , but rather let the reader interpret it in their own individual way. I think this is a useful element to incorporate in any type of religious writing. 

I liked the two sections on first impressions and second impressions about Hoiland's relationship to those that she did not necessarily care for. This perspective of delving deeper into one's life when immediate appreciation or connection is made, is something that Christ repeated in His life. Instead of walking past those that others frowned down upon, He stopped and loved them. Her positive memories of the people that she is was unsure of at first, put into perspective the critical message that everyone is a child of God and has the light of Christ. This passage also resonated with me because I saw so much of my own mother in it. Her ability to focus on someone's positive attributes has influenced me as I also try to look for the best in others. Again, Hoiland takes smaller details that have resonated with her to explore her relationship with others. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree that her openness to discuss the difficulties of writing in free verse as well as the hardships of her topic was inspiring. I think it is important to remember the emotional and mental stress at takes for authors to create texts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought it was interesting that Leavitt said she wouldn't write in poetry form again! It made me really appreciate that she had all the more. I also want to see the poems she didn't include now haha. I bet they're as lovely as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your response to the two sections in 100 birds. That is definitely true and apparent. I think that is a good quality of a great mother. To see strangers in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was fascinating that Leavitt felt she needed to write in verse for this book, because of the subject matter and character, but that she never wanted to do it again after this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see the poems that didn't make it into the book as well. One effect of using the poetic form to distance readers from the story was the lessening of didacticism, and for this particular story that works very well. It makes it feel much more realistic.

    ReplyDelete