Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Henry Leavitt/Hoiland post

During the interview with Martine Leavitt I was struck by her answer when someone asked her about the symbolism in her book. Leavitt said that in her writing, in this book at least, that she never thought about the symbolism she used. She basically never wrote about something thinking that it would be perfect symbolism for something for specific. For some reason I really appreciated that about this book because when I first read it I felt that it was so packed with symbolism. I understand that it still can be packed with symbolism, but it was cool that Leavitt didn't intend for a lot of it to be interpreted that way. 

In One Hundred Birds Taught me to Fly, I noticed one passage that I felt really connected to the author with. On page 43 there's a passage that reads "there were no rules dictating the way we could feel awe; there was no instance that each had to be an active church member to feel the way that God loves us all-we felt that love in the space not where religion meets religion, but in the space where our stories unfold to each other." I guess I just felt like I totally understood what the author was saying. My own view of faith in today's church is so reliant on everyone's stories coming together and building each other up. I am excited to keep reading and see how this book continues to talk about the journey of faith.



5 comments:

  1. I like your comment about collective faith! I think that is a huge part of our religion, each of us coming in with our testimonies built on slightly different foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoiland's perspective of faith is refreshing in that she is honest with this type of love and faith she addresses in this passage. I think that today that is becoming more important than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting that in Martine Leavitt's interview, she didn't realize the symbolism of the shoes she was writing about, she just liked them and thought they were a good fit on an innocent girl. I guess that just goes to show how much the authors sometimes just write to write, and then the critics, or the English majors pull meaning from what's there, that authors may never have intended to be there. She answered the question that most beginner writers ask, "do authors really think about all this stuff in their writing"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did enjoy that comment a lot. I feel like English majors, we try to analyze things too much and this past year i've been reading and seeing things how they are. With her stating that there wasn't any symbolism, it struck me. It seem like this book would have symbolism, but she is just an amazing writer tying up loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that comment to, but that is something that I think about a lot when I am writing. I am suppose to be coming up the symbols for things? Or does it just come as I write and describe what it going on around me?

    ReplyDelete