Monday, October 28, 2019

Siera's Incorporation of Quotes

My sister is one of those people who needs to make a mistake in order to understand something. Sometimes she even makes that mistake twice, just to confirm her original conclusion. Today, this situation, it was no exception. As I read the dramatic monologue of a text riddled with mistakes and excuses, my heart dropped. Would she ever learn?
It had been hours and I still hadn't responded. She wanted me to call her, but I wasn't ready. I allowed books, homework assignments, and any other worry to fill my headspace. As I walked home, with my music blaring, I realized that as much as I wanted to I couldn't just ignore it. I prayed earnestly to have empathy to her and then made the call. We talked for hours, I cried, she cried. When she hung up the phone I sat in silence. The feeling of warmth and comfort that washed over me was something I have never felt before. I guess it is true what they say in Les Miserable "To love another person is to see the face of God."

Richard G. Scott once said, "God did not set us up to fail, but to succeed gloriously." I decided this was my favorite quote freshman year of college, though honestly, I didn't believe it then. Four years later staring at a seemingly insignificant pile of ancient rocks in the blazing heat, with sweat dripping from ever possible part of my body, I become to believe that those words were true. 

I was sitting at the kitchen table working on a homework assignment, when I heard the door open and watched my mom come in carrying groceries. Her eyes were tired, but she was smiling. "How was your school day?" she asked. "Good." I replied. "Do you need any help with the groceries?" 
"Nope. This is all of it." For a moment I sat there and watched her as she put away our fourth gallon of milk this week, and the Costco container of peanut butter we would finish before the month ended. She was wearing her workout clothes, her hair was no clean, and she had no make-up on, but to me she was beautiful. I feel like Charlotte Bronte put it best it was "a beauty neither of fine colour nor long eyelash, nor penciled brow, but of meaning, of movement of radiance."  

5 comments:

  1. This was a really touching piece. I thought the quotes were lovely and your description of your own feelings and of your feelings about your sister were really sweet and felt very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your Les Mis reference! My familiarity with the story deepened the experience as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using the quote to finish a thought is something that I am not use to. It's nice to see your examples. They do a great job of tying a bow around the passage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your use of the Richard G. Scott quote to frame your description of the moment with the pile of rocks drew me in to your writing. It was a good balance between description and vagueness that left me wanting to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you incorporated the quote in the last example. You made it flow very well.

    ReplyDelete