Monday, October 28, 2019

Kendal's Incorporating Quotes

Writer Atticus said that "we are made of all those who have built and broken us." And at the end of everything I had experienced in the last eighteen months, that was who I had become. In a way, I did not know how to be or even who to be after who I had become. According to me, I appeared to be the same person because my name hadn't changed, but I was also completely different. Trauma and also the miracles I had experienced had left me broken but also whole. Broken at the point of not being able to fully understand what had happened to me. Whole because of the people I had met that had helped changed my heart for the better.

In the midst of both the depression and anxiety of my situation, but also not being fully encompassed within one or the other, I looked to the brightest light in the sky and thought it will all be okay. With that, I echo the words of Maya Angelou:

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that is rooted in pain
I rise

The triumph in rising from the dirt of a trial made the bright light in the sky shine brighter that day and fueled my heart to keep going.

Allowing myself to write freely about the experiences that have left me heartbroken, something that has helped me is the thought that when a writer writes a story down for the first time, I've heard that it should be thought of as the writer telling herself the story. I read that somewhere at sometime and it has shaped my unique perspective about the book I am trying to complete. 

5 comments:

  1. That was an awesome way of using the poem. It totally flowed and fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked how you incorporated your quotes into this section from your personal essay. The first one by Atticus does a great job of setting up the scene for what you talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your use of Maya Angelou with a sensitive topic was fitting. Her story and understanding the context in which she writes adds power to your own text. Not only does the quote fit, but who said the quote as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really loved the use of the poem in your second entry. It really made the rest of your entry so relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like I am late on the praise game, but your Maya Angelou quote is really well placed. It spins an already beautiful line of poetry and is introduced gracefully, even though the citation style is not naturally smooth.

    ReplyDelete