Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Cassie's Writing Plan

REFLECT
I have loved writing in the past and it had been so long before this class since I had written anything besides an instagram caption or a letter to my grandma. Just getting pen to paper has been really therapeutic and exciting. I was really excited about some of the topics I had brainstormed at the beginning of class. I am still excited about them. In some ways, the writings we've done have been related to those topics, but they have related in different ways than I had expected. 

SELECT
This is so difficult. I am very stumped about what to choose. I think if I were going to start writing right now I would write about going to my friend's bridal shower. She was my mission companion and then roomed with my friends from high school. So it was this weird crossover of people I hadn't seen in a while that represented different times of my life, and being there made me feel very foreign. But to be honest, I'm struggling to commit.

COMMENT
Someone already said this, but it is what I want to do too. Holland had a great ability to have the essence of her heartache understood without delving into it. I think I am sometimes too inclined to write about pain, and I loved how she wrote about hope more than sadness. And she did it without being didactic. So I guess that's a really big concept that I want to try and imitate from her. I want my writing to be more hopeful. I grew up loving Sylvia Plath so I think there's part of me (however much I fundamentally disagree with this) that believes there is beauty in pain. And while I think there is a very important place for that writing, I think I've done enough of it. And I want to write something hopeful, even if it has the essence of heartache. 

PLAN
I am having a hard time committing to anything!!!! I want to write in a more prose-like way like Hoiland did. I've taken poetry writing classes so I want to make my writing seem more artistic than storylike, if that makes sense. I want to be as honest as possible, while still maintaining beauty in my writing. I liked that about Leavitt's writing as well. I want to make sure I am still reminded of life's beauty no matter how much I feel like I am personally struggling with whatever topic I choose or story I tell. I want that reflected in my form.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie, I like your goal of trying to make your prose seem more artistic. I actually think Leavitt might be a better model in terms of form if that's what you are going for though!

    ReplyDelete