Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Ana's Essay Plan


REFLECT: Two of the exercises that have been beneficial for my prewriting has been the character sketches and the quotes. After doing the character sketches, I thought a lot about what I wanted to write about, and my original idea got discarded as I was exploring.
SELECT: I was really passionate about my original idea, but, after doing the character sketches, I want to focus on the children I watched full-time over the summer, as I have a wider range details, seeing them from an outside perspective. It’s also more recent than my original idea, so the details are still fresh in my head.
COMMENT: I liked how Hoiland used imagery—both literally and in a literary sense—in her writing. I don’t know if I’ll end up using it, but I do want to play around with imagery (in an art sense) as I write the essay. She also wasn’t afraid to talk about sensitive topics, which is another thing I want to play around with in my essay.
PLAN: I want to talk about my personal experience of watching someone else’s children day after day, and how it has impacted me, and the affects it had on the children, from what I saw. I want to portray the differences between the kids and how that affected me, focusing specifically on one of them. I have several ideas I want to incorporate into my essay.   

5 comments:

  1. I am really excited about this. I am the oldest of 9 and I have learned a lot from watching my siblings grow up. I think building off the character sketches is a good idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do end up using imagery, I'm excited to see how it'll add to your essay, and I'm looking forward to your exploration of this new topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching over other people's children is probably is simultaneously perverse and endearing in a Church perspective. There's so much focus on providing and protecting the family, someone else tending over your children sounds sacrificial and daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a full time nanny too so this topic is extremely intriguing to me! Spending your day with the same children and getting to be be responsible for them and their well being is going to be a great topic to explore, especially focusing on imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! This will be so cool to see where you go with this. I think it will be really powerful. I used to be a nanny too but never really thought about it the way it looks like you'll explore so I am super fascinated to see your writing.

    ReplyDelete