Monday, October 28, 2019

Dorothy Incorporated Quotes

In a religion that preaches acceptance and loving one's neighbor, it seems fitting that a central ideology would be selflessness. This is perfectly modeled by the Savior so looking toward Him will be our best example. Simply put, "All one needs to know in life, is that others exist; life is not just me." (48) In a quest for eternal life, striving to become better can only become a reality when one realizes that it is not only about them. At this time in my life, I seem to often think of myself and put my own needs above others, however, becoming more like the Savior requires a devotion to others which I am trying to emulate in my own life.

Pope Francis is full of light and truth. He often speaks simple truths that are powerful and resonate with the listener. He once stated, "Have the courage to be truly happy." I have often heard it said that being happy is a choice, and while I partially agree with this, I think being truly happy requires a type of courage that is often hard to define or acquire. True happiness comes from when our lives are centered around Jesus Christ, each conference we are reminded of this principle. Along with this, Pope Francis reminds us that we must cultivate courage with our happiness so that we can set boundaries for ourselves, realize what we deserve, and better center our lives around the Savior. I think it that is equally important that one recognizes their happiness is courage and vice versa.

"Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women." Maya Angelou is a strong feminist who helped contribute to the literary world. In this quote she encompasses the idea of the baptismal covenant that we should mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. It is important to understand our own doctrine and values so that we can stand up for them, which will in return, help strengthen fellow brothers and sisters. I hope that I can continue to learn to stand up for myself as a woman, and as a member of the Church so that I can stand up for all woman and all children of God.

3 comments:

  1. I really like what you did with your last example because I love Maya Angelou, but I have never thought of anything I've read of hers in this way. Thats what makes this so interesting with the quote layer of your writing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your commentary around your quotes. They all really made sense to me withing the context of the paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was great that you commented about Pope Francis, giving credibility to another religious leader that is well known throughout the world despite the fact that you are LDS. I think this tactic can really helps connect with non LDS readers.

    ReplyDelete