Monday, October 14, 2019

Henry's Character Sketches


1. She checks behind her to see if she has space to lean her chair back. She doesn't. After we hit cruising altitude she puts her chair back with no hesitation. The top of her head has some grey on it. As we land she stands up and asks me about my trip. Wearing a long turtle neck AND a scarf. I don't get the point of that. She recommends getting the maple bacon donut next time I'm in Eugene.

2. I haven't seen her in 6 months and she's changed quite a bit. Her stomach is bigger, ankles more swollen, and not nearly as much energy as she usually does. She brings up the baby every five minutes. She gets stressed every time we get close to another car. It's like all of her senses are multiplied by 10. She's refusing her normal 64 oz. Diet Coke and laying off the sweets a lot more than normal. She still finds a way to be happy and pleasant throughout this entire process, though.

3. I have no idea what he is studying. I've been sitting across from him for an hour and a half looking at his scratch paper upside down and still can't make anything out. He's hardly even took a sip of water or taken his eyes off the computer screen. He doesn't seem worried or stressed out, however. He's just casually going about his business doing whatever assignment he's doing. I see lots of numbers and lines, so it's a safe bet that it is math related. I'm not gonna ask him so I guess I'll never know.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your second entry. I think it reflects well the characterization of a pregnant woman that i know, so it was easy for me to picture who you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how for the third one you took a fleeting everyday experience with someone you don't even know (and probably never will). It makes me want to pay more attention to the details in my daily interactions with people that I wish I had more time to know better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will side with Cameron with this. You could see this person so well. Not only her descriptions, but her responses create the character as well. And honestly does a better job of putting me into the scenario than they descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the last one, I can imagine your absent-mindly observing the guy across from you in he library as your failing at focusing on your own homework.

    ReplyDelete