Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Marcus's Belief Sketch

Books sprawled out in each direction; my hips sink lower into the mattress as I lean to grab another book. This one reads, “…one is worthy, all promises will be fulfilled in the Lord’s due time. Those promises and blessings that are not realized in this life will be fulfilled in the next…”. I reach for another marked with a yellow sticky note; “…securing it by his faith, to spring up in the last days, or in due time…”. Another book from my pillow, “…in the own due time of the Lord…”. I slam the book shut and grab a magazine flipped open to an old discourse; “…according to the own due time of the Lord…”.

Nothing. Months spent searching and years pondering, I still don’t have any answers. My entire life seems to be circling around these three words: in due time.

I remain seated on my bed. I look at the clock – a couple of hours have already passed. A couple equals two, I think to myself, two hours. I replay some of the phrases in my head from the texts: …in this life…, …in the last days…. I'm confident in understand the significance of time; how things “take time”, and how I’m supposed to “have patients” and even the indication of time frames. Nevertheless, it’s infuriating to not understand this specific time frame: in due time

Seriously, what the hell does it mean? I lay back defeated. Who am I kidding; hell wouldn’t know. 

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I like what you did with formatting your thoughts with italics and then the comical frustration bubble at the end. I think it's relatable to an audience. I'd be interested to know more about how this could be put into a personal . essay and where you would take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this. It was a very real, raw example of a search for answers. Your play on words at the end was really good at tying up the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the wordplay. That is always a nice way of deepening meaning while remaining concise. I also like the varying paragraph lengths. It makes it more natural, since most people don't write in equal paragraph lengths.

    ReplyDelete