Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Dorothy's Belief Sketch

Of course the MET was going to be crowded regardless of what season you visited. I closed my eyes and pictured so many of the works that were well known and loved. Van Gogh, Delacroix, Picasso, everyone knew some of the most beloved works to stop by first. I had about ten must see pieces. Perhaps it was because of my limited art history knowledge that was just beginning to bloom that I was oblivious to some of the most beautiful works imaginable which is why we headed straight for Starry Night first. Van Gogh's troubled soul increased my interest in him. A cut off ear, eventual death in an asylum, and a rejected art style throughout his lifetime. It was clear that his life had not been easy. A couple dozen people crowded around the frame. My heart was beating, and I felt awake even though it was early in the morning. When was the last time that something that seemed so removed from life had caught my interest? I waited in the back wanting everyone to look at it at as long as they desired. When I got closer to the piece, it was all I could do not to reach out and touch it. The colors, lines, and depth that had been so perfectly preserved surpassed any expectations I originally had. 


4 comments:

  1. I liked how you kind of connect with Van Gogh. It creates more meaning to me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the connection as well. This sketch makes me very curious to know how your knowledge of art history continued to bloom and influence your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your connection with Van Gogh is very transferrable to readers. That connection is real. But then you switch and talk about how you waited back, waiting for other observers to have their turn. Was this because of your religious belief of being truly aware of loving your neighbor as it were? Or did you want them to see the picture first so that you could have time to see it without the social pressures telling you to move on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this. I liked how much I could feel like I was a part of this experience. It was really specific to what you lived and all the beautiful details that you included were great.

    ReplyDelete