Saturday, October 12, 2019

Siera's Three Character Sketches


1.She walked down the steps passed the LSB “What year of school are you in?”
“I’m a freshman,” He said. Great. She realized he would have no idea what he was doing and would be unable to draw on passed experiences.
“Are you at BYU or UVU?” he asked.
“BYU” She said, a little taken back. She hadn’t even considered the fact that he might not be going to BYU. He definitely isn’t taking school seriously then. Her disapproval grew.
They continued to small talk, but she was only half listening trying to get into the crux of the matter. “We should probably get together sometime today and plan our activity for tomorrow. Are you going to ward prayer tonight?”
“No. I don’t think so.” He said. Wow. She thought. He doesn’t even want to be part of the ward.


2.I tend to be the type of person that tries to apply principles to every situation and learn from other people’s experiences. My goal is to avoid making mistakes at all cost. This is the complete opposite of my sister. She needs to make a mistake in order to understand something, sometimes make it twice, just to confirm her original conclusion. Today, this situation, it was no exception. As I read the dramatic monologue of a text riddled with mistakes and excuses, my heart dropped. Would she ever learn?


          3.  I sat watching the sun set over sea of Galilee, the lights from Tibreious sparkled. The atmosphere was calm, but I was not.
            “Siera! Can I come sit by you? How are you doing?” Lindy cheerily asked. I was surprised. I responded, “Sure!”
            She sat down next to me and rested on her hands. She held herself tightly but continued on in casual conversation. She told me she had caught a fish this morning and then went exploring with the group. I tried to pay attention as she spoke.
            “I have been feeling like I need to talk to you all week. Not sure why.” She paused.
We sat in silence for a moment. “Are you doing okay?” She continued unsurely.
            “Honestly not really.” I said. I felt her body relax. We just sat in silence for several minutes and I began to feel better.  

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you used the dialogue in your third sketch to bring out the differences among the characters, then, in your first, how you used what the character thought (ex. "Wow...he doesn't even want to be a part of the ward") to shape them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dialogue in the first one was a really interesting way to help me visualize this encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your third entry. Not only does the dialogue give a good picture of whom you are talking with, but the entry also does a good job with setting up the scene and then the characters. The dialogue has a lot of underlying nuances as well for an LDS audience.

    ReplyDelete