Friday, October 11, 2019

Dorothy's Three Character Sketches

1. It is more common for her office to be cluttered than clean. My mom sits behind a desk, composing an email to send to a list of dentists about doing some pro bono work for undocumented students at Highland High School. Around her desk, boxes of top ramen are staked, food donations that she will give out to new refugee students later that day. Behind her sits a homemade birthday cake, made for one of her TA's, who my mom knew would not be getting a cake unless it was from her. Her phone rings, my younger brother forgot his lunch, again. My mom finishes the email and instead of delivering his PB&J sandwich she made that morning, she brings him a chick-fil-a meal with a sticky note that reads, "I love you!"

2. An ambiguous tweet from him that reads, "Do". Do what? I haven't heard from him in so long. No updates on where he has been traveling, an additional tattoo, or how his mom is doing. How does he manage to remain so important to me when the details of his life remain so hidden to me? I search his name on twitter again, a photo of him with a new hairstyle. Still I question his initial "Do" proclamation. His philanthropic work has been dwindling, a topic I wish I could address with him. My phone buzzes, a text from my sister, "What does Harry's tweet mean?" I ask myself the same question and search Harry Styles once again into my browser. Whatever "Do" means, I am intrigued to follow Harry Styles and figure it out.

3. A friend should be loyal. A friend should be caring. A friend should be willing to drink diet coke with you whenever you want. My friend Elle is all of those things. She's the friend who will scratch your back after a long day, the friend that will purchase tickets for $5 movie Tuesday, and the friend that will compliment your outfit until you are confident you could be on the cover of Vogue in what you are wearing. She's the friend to all, a friend that makes you feel included and a friend that will drop whatever she is doing do go get a diet coke with you.

3 comments:

  1. You do a great job painting a picture of your mom through something as simple as things sitting on her desk and her actions. I haven't even met her and I already like her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did a great job bringing out the distinct personalities between the three characters (for example, the routine of a cluttered desk, diet coke with a friend, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the internal dialogue with yourself that really helped to show what you were thinking and what goes through your head.

    ReplyDelete