Monday, October 7, 2019

Cassie's Conference Analysis

Elder Gong used a story at the beginning that connected the audience through laughter. He told a story about a young child who prayed for everything and then thanked his primary teacher for letting him. I remember this story, with the same punch line, being used before. The story told for laughter from a personal perspective was an interesting use of story to me. I watched with my family and we started whispering about my little brother who did the same thing. I think that the use of this very familiar story and the use of laughter was very engaging and personal. It brought a sense of entertainment into the sermon. The story wasn't explicitly connected to the rest of his points about God, but it also was related. He told a story about dating his wife and related it to belonging and how we should all belong in a covenant belonging.

People have already mentioned Uchtdorf's use of the Lord of the Rings. I didn't watch every session, so I probably missed other outside stories that speakers brought in, but that one was a definite standout that people were widely discussing and loving on twitter. I think it made people feel really seen. We connect through stories and this was another, unexpected story we connected with at conference. 

1 comment:

  1. It feels very refreshing when a congregation can laugh together in a meeting. I have not had the opportunity to listen to this talk yet but your analysis of it makes me excited to listen to it. I think a lot of speakers follow this pattern of using a story or joke at the beginning of their talk so that they can engage the audience from the very beginning.

    ReplyDelete