Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Three Scenes from Ana's Life


1. The mid-winter snow glazed the sidewalk as I carefully placed one foot in front of the other. My eyes were abnormally spinning. All I could tell myself is, you only need to make it to the next bench, and then you can sit and rest for a few minutes. My only problem: I had statistics in a few minutes. So with every bench, I would keep walking, despite the ringing in my head.

2. Spending a pleasurable morning with a visiting scholar, viewing paintings and touring the campus, I couldn’t imagine my day any better. Then I received an email. Applying for an abundant amount of jobs, I couldn’t even remember what they were anymore. But being a Research Assistant for Maxwell Institute was one I was eager to be called into an interview for.

3. The delicate bug buzzes along the grass as its rear end is the only thing illuminating its surroundings. We watch with awe as another, then another, fly to greet its companion. They are unaware of the buildings and cars around them, and only focus on the small field they’ve claimed as theirs.  

4 comments:

  1. Your third passage really gripped me. As mundane a narrative as it is, I really could envision the surroundings, and I became invested in the bugs. Maybe it was because of their small-mindedness, which is an attribute I wish I could afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the third passage. It was such a small, mundane scene that was very compelling. All three of these passages were really strong and I can't wait to see where you go with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that you did a great job describing each fleeting moment without forcing any analysis on them because I want to continue reading each one to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, definitely the third one. The description there is a lot more sensory than the other two.

    ReplyDelete