Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Siera's Attempt to Annotate Isaiah

In my annotation of 2 Nephi 19-20 I focused on the poetic aspects of the text as well as trying to put it in into historical context. As far as poetic technics, Isaiah uses a ton of parallelism. He uses it in verses next to each other, verses that close to each other, and verses that are across the chapter. My favorite example of this is his use of shoulder twice in text. The first use is talking about how the staff is removed from the shoulder and that the burden is lifted. Then later it is talking about how Christ takes that government on his shoulder. Looking at it for its poetic value helped me understand what he was saying better.

2 comments:

  1. These are really beautiful annotations and I like how similar they look to when I annotate poetry! Terms like parallelism and things you used aren't usually used when discussing Isaiah or scripture, and I really like the way the genre change allows for more language or different language to help understand the Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the insight of the imagery there! thats beautiful! This is much like how we are counseled to liken the scriptures unto ourselves. making these comparisons is a version of doing that I think.

    ReplyDelete