Friday, September 20, 2019

Poetry Shapes Me

Poetry has been one of my favorite mediums for a long time. I love reading it and writing it. There are many poems that have helped me through difficult times and shaped the way I've interacted with others, my world, and the divine. As a child, I owned a book of poetry by a boy dying of cancer, and it helped me when my grandpa died as a kid.

On my mission, I decided to write one stanza of poetry every other transfer (every three months). It is a terribly written poem, but it is still one of my favorite things I've created because writing it was such a powerful experience for me. Reflecting through poetry about how I was feeling spiritually and otherwise now provides this raw glimpse into who I was becoming as a missionary in Mexico. 


Mary Oliver's poem "When Death Comes" reminded me to live a life of wonder.
Keats has reminded me that beauty and truth can coexist.
Sylvia Plath has made me feel understood in darkness.
Mother's Milk by Rachel Hunt-Steenblik has made me feel more comfortable seeing God in the feminine, the everyday, and the familiar.

I am grateful for poetry.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment