Saturday, September 21, 2019

Julie's Extraordinary Experience


  • During the summer of 2018, I faced a lot of doubt—doubt in regards to my career, marriage, and whether I should go on a mission. 
  • My parents and friends, scared of the stereotype of the English major who can’t find a job, were reminding me that I needed to be more serious about my career decision. 
  • After much thought and prayer, I decided that I was going to go to school for just one more year before leaving on a mission.
  • However, I still felt unsettled about my choice of career. I thought I had settled on editing—but every time that I tried editing fiction, I was miserable.
  • The aftermath: After months of frustration and praying about my career, I had a dream one night where a friend told me that understanding and revelation come one step at a time, not all at once. After that, the pieces slowly fit together. I soon started dating my future husband (who I wouldn’t have met if I had gone on my mission earlier). I was offered an internship where I was surprised to discover that my strengths lay in editing nonfiction. My view of revelation and God’s role in our individual lives was forever changed by that whole experience.

3 comments:

  1. This is a big life changing experience. I think often this genre that we call "personal essay" in LDS theology can be a variety of things, such a a journal entry or a didactic message in the which you could influence someones life. I think that thinking about your audience and what you what to spark in them would help make this into a great personal essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the major/career opportunities--People (especially family) often question my decision about being an English major, thinking there's no point. They don't know why I would got to grad school if I might not find anything afterwards. I like how you incorporated how your love life into what happened with your career--it adds a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your life lesson, because I have had similar experiences in my life as I have tried to make big decisions. It always seems to come after we have done what we can do and the timing is right. I also think it is so awesome you received your revelation in a dream. That is one thing I have always wanted to happen to me!

    ReplyDelete