Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Katy's Literary Annotations of the Book of Mormon


I chose to annotate 4th Nephi. In my annotations, I focused on the historical nature of the text and the different themes that arose throughout it. I noted main groups of people throughout the text, and the lack of specific characters beyond those keeping the records. I also noted the binaries of wickedness vs. goodness, prosperity vs. poverty, war vs. peace, and true belief vs. hypocrisy. I also noted the interesting gap between the period of prosperity and the period of wickedness. It is almost as if, while abridging this record, Mormon decided it was easier to show people what not to do than what to do.
If I were to do this exercise again, I would focus a bit more on how Mormon's perspective may have influenced the effect of his editing. I would also take more care to note the individual record-keepers.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about what you said about Mormon's perspective (if you were to do this exercise again)--how his perspective may have influenced his editing is an interesting topic, as, even us, as outside sources, go into things with opinions, ideas, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also focused on the historical nature, but I took mine int he direction of politics. It is interesting that this section of the Book of Mormon focused more on the moralities and the prosperity of the people. In my section, there was also a gap. Within the one chapter I looked at, it cover 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is neat that you noticed the time period and gap between the two periods of prosperity and wickedness. Often I think that the timing of The Book of Mormon is not something that is emphasized but historically could carry a lot of weight.

    ReplyDelete