Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Dorothy Smith Literary Analysis of The Book of Mormon










For my literary analysis I focused on the the narrator's authorial intent and credibility as well as the lack of women representation in the Book of Mormon. I noticed that Lehi takes a different approach when he is talking to his different sons and appreciated the variation in his parenting style with them. I also appreciated how he used previous scripture and history to build his credible. By discussing the fall of Adam and Eve and explaining the implications that this has for his family's life, it is clear that Lehi is speaking from a place of love as well as authority. While I did not originally intend to focus on the lack of women representation, it become more and more apparent to me every time the word "men" was used and women must write themselves into the narrative. 

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you focused on the lack of women's representation in the Book of Mormon--not something I think about right away. I liked how you linked it back to the fall, with Adam and Eve, as what you brought up, with the word "men" has shown to have a lot of controversy on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the the reason you noticed lack of feminine representation was due in-part to the formatting. As english majors, so often we talk about misrepresentation of women and their writings. I'd be interested to know if that had been a bigger issue even in reading the scriptural version or if it first came up when reading in this format?

    I think it's also awesome that you focus on author credibility. That is definitely a literary tool that we probably don't focus on when reading scripture on a day to day basis. Usually we just assume that authority comes from god and not other literary works, such as the story of Adam and Eve in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be such a good topic for a research paper. Reading the whole Book of Mormon looking for lack of representation for women would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete