Wednesday, September 18, 2019

My Annotations

I read pages 305-309 in the Hardy edition, which is the part of the Book of Mormon where Ammon converts King Lamoni and his household. The edition made several things more elucidated to me, or at least helped me interpret them differently.

The formatting changed the way I perceived the length of time of this event. I had assumed the conversion conversation was just one day, but because of the way the titles of sections are formatted over the King's learning, and because of the phrase "after he had said all these things, and expounded them to the king," among other phrases, I now think that this event took place over weeks.

It also changed the subject of the story. Previously, I had thought this story was very much Ammon's story, with King Lamoni being a possible co-star for this section. But the sectioning off of titles casts a new light on the importance of the entire community, and other key players to this event. The titles are "The Queen Sends for Ammon," "The Queen, Ammon, and Servants Are Overcome," "Abish and the People," and "Recovery and Conversion." Just adding these titles and starting these sections with subjects that aren't Ammon really changed the way I viewed this story. I now perceive it as a whole communal affair, and not just a personal conversion of a powerful person. I see the way the community debated and struggled with the new info from lots of sources (the spirit, ABish, the queen, and also Ammon). 

1 comment:

  1. I love your post! Yeah I've had a similar experience with this part of the book of mormon. I also thought that it was just one day. There are different insights and perspectives that come with laying it out like that. Thats awesome that you saw that!

    ReplyDelete