Tuesday, September 10, 2019

My First View of a Western Prairie and Elect of Elohim

I thoroughly enjoyed that first poem because of its connection with nature and childhood. I see it as a pastoral poem being told in a light tone that builds into an excitement. The connection with that and reaching the Western World holds different, but similar distinctions. The giddy feeling of seeing and being in nature is juxtaposed with the feeling of reaching the destination. The purpose of writing the poem is both to express those emotions and bring them to life, but also revealing and telling part of Eliza R. Snow's personal history. The audience is other members of the Church. 

I see the second poem as more of a narrative poem. The audience is anyone who has knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. That is what essentially the poem is, but in a creative way in which adds more insight and maybe some unique feelings there about it by the author. The purpose of the poem is to allow the reader to reflect about what happened to Christ through the history that we learn of in the Plan and have their own personal experience with it in a unique and creative way.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kendal! Thanks for your comments here! I agree that Elect of Elohim is directed at those with a knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, but even more than that, it seems that the reader has to have a pretty firm grasp on Revelation and the Pearl of Great Price to get most of the references. I love your thoughts on Eliza R. Snow's poem as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems you have a firm grasp on "My First View of a Western Prairie," so I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you had to say about the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of reflecting on Christ as we read the poem. It helps the poem have a deeper meaning and help me read it with a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also impressed with the free prose of "Prairie." It's funny that you used the world "pastoral" in your synopsis, because that word doesn't really have weight without the idea of the unreachable or symbolic, and Snow is literally in those fields when she writes the poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you talked about "Elect of Elohim" as a narrative poem. England quoted Spencer W. Kimball in his article, who said that we need more art about the Restoration and our Latter-day Saint roots. I think this poem is great at retelling and expanding a story that is a major part of our beliefs.

    ReplyDelete