Saturday, December 14, 2019

Jer3miah Response Post

I sat down last night to watch Jer3miah with my husband. The opening episode, with its shaky camera, and cringy Mormon mom-and-dad conversation had us squirming. We had very different responses to the rest of the series though. David eventually fell asleep, while I got sucked in. At about hour 1, though, I began to feel a little weary myself. I still didn't know who Jeremiah's birth parents were, who the people chasing him were, and what the heck was inside that box!

Needless to say, at the end of this 2-hour endeavor, I was disappointed to find that only one of my questions would be answered. It struck me as a bit of a cop-out, honestly. Jeremiah's dad is one of the three Nephites?

Despite my personal disappointment with the resolution of the suspense, the fact that I even cared to know the answers to these questions shows a fairly successful attempt at a Mormon drama. The short episodes were nice, breaking things up into little chunks. The themes of family and adoption were especially poignant. I actually had a conversation earlier that day about lineage with a woman I taught on my mission. She is concerned because she doesn't have a house of Israel listed in her patriarchal blessing, but is told only that she belongs to the house of Abraham. I connected Jeremiah's struggle to find his identity with hers, and found a lot of similarities.

All in all, Jer3miah was an interesting experiment, and it was fun to watch despite the low film quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment