Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Added Upon and Home Literature

From the remarks given by Orson Whitney, there is a strong emphasis about providing powerful literature that remains pure. Whitney focused a lot on the aspects of creating literature that was uplifting yet remained outside of the LDS cannon. It seems that we get sucked into focusing on the same cannon such as the Bible and the Book of Mormon because they are “pure”, however, there can be many other forms of literature that are written “by the spirit”. As directed, we should be seeking out all that is good, and I believe this includes literature of all types.
I believe Nephi Anderson does a great job in applying Whitney’s words to his literature. Added Uponprovides unique insights such as including very “LDS” doctrine such as the Plan of Salvation and the role of families. Even though these topics are talked about within many different religions, Anderson places emphasis on specific characters and characteristics that help the story provide a new, yet familiar, understanding of the pre-post mortal life. I believe he does a great job on making the story simple and pure, uplifting and direct with topics associated primarily in LDS culture. Though this story is pure, I could see why theology would become a little fuzzy within the Mormon culture and what we believe – good literature like this is easily mistaken for doctrine. 

3 comments:

  1. When studying any type of LDS literature, I think it is important it to remember what is considered "doctrine." While Added Upon has elements of the doctrines the LDS Church believes, it is not considered doctrine or cannon because of its nature and also the core doctrine of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end remains the core doctrine that LDS should focus on. While Whitney has explores predominately LDS believes, I also believe that other religions could relate to his content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm responding here to both Marcus and Dorothy, but I do think that there is a really interesting blend of speculation and doctrine in Anderson's writing, and I think that's part of the reason I was still interested as I was reading his story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This aspect of purity when it comes to literature. I wonder how that thought goes to the real world. Is it still the same? hmmm is the most powerful literature have to do with purity?

    ReplyDelete