Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Dorothy's Jer3miah Post

While I am not sure what I was expecting from the Jer3miah video series, the videos strayed from my previous my expectations. As made clear in the article read, this video is contemporary and engaging. It is not clearly didactic like other videos of its genre like Saturday’s Warrior, but remains interesting while staying within the LDS narrative. Jer3miah, however, is also entertaining outside of an LDS perspective. While it is clearly more relatable from an LDS perspective, (the opening scene where Jeremiah’s mother addresses his roommate and says, “I thought he was a returned missionary”), the mystery and suspense of the series is more similar to an action TV series. The minisodes were an effective way to format this series and maintain a level of interest in the viewer. 

While allusions to Jeremiah’s prophetic call is clear, it is also similar to modern day stories of Harry Potter or Percy Jackson where an unexpected hero is called. I think this is why a non LDS audience would be able to relate to it. As Latter-day Saints, I think we can relate to it in a way that we also receive spiritual promptings and can appreciate how BYU is different and at times a little quirky. I probably would not watch this show again but I did think it was interesting and different from the usual LDS videos that are often shown in seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment