Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Literary Journal- Katy Sumsion

This is my usual journaling style:
Yesterday was an OK day. I went to work around 7:45am. It was cold outside, and I didn't really want to go in, but I figured after missing almost a week of work I had better show my face. I needn't have bothered, though. There was hardly anything to do, so I ended up mostly just working on homework for the morning. Good thing, too. I was getting behind. After work, I went to water aerobics and did some funky dance moves in the water. It was a surprisingly good workout. After that were the rest of my classes. Visual rhetoric was dry as usual, English novels was fantastic, and we had a really good discussion in LDS lit. Went grocery shopping. Made curry for dinner.
[Event focused, not descriptive]

1.Waking up yesterday honestly felt like the hardest thing I had ever done. My eyelids were crusted shut, and my body was about three times as heavy as it usually is. When I finally pried myself out of bed at seven, I stumped over to the bathroom and beheld my reflection in all its glory: bedhead, red lines crisscrossing my face from where it had been smashed into the pillow, and my t-shirt crumpled up around my waist. After brushing my teeth and putting on clothes, I walked to the door, bracing myself for the cold. I was not disappointed, the fine weather of last week seemed to have disappeared. "Well," I thought, "at least I can start wearing sweaters again."
[High description, physical feeling]

2.-David leaving at 6, while I sleep in until 7.
-Brother Wilson showing up at 9am when I arrived at 7:45
-My water aerobics instructor (I forget her name) doing ridiculous dance moves for me to imitate in water
-Professor Mason discussing the genius of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey
-Lindy running over my pie crust at the grocery store, and me sending her in for a new one.
[Bulleted list, person-focused]

3.Why did I have such a hard time waking up yesterday morning? Why has the weather gotten so cold all of a sudden? Why can't I seem to focus in my visual rhetoric class? What is the point of going grocery shopping when most of the time I don't even feel like cooking?
[rhetorical questions, negatively focused]

4. In the morning, I felt mostly exhausted, but as the day went on, my emotional energy increased a lot. I was feeling pretty pointless at work, so I started doing my homework. That helped me feel more on top of things. My water aerobics class really woke me up. It got my blood pumping, and I left feeling energized. My classes, in large part, made me excited to be an English major, and excited for my opportunities at work. I was hungry when I went grocery shopping, so I probably bought more food than I should have.
[Emotionally focused, not overly descriptive]

5. God was watching out for me today. I woke up late, but still made it to work early. Tender mercies, right? I had some extra time to work on homework at work, which was a great opportunity for me to catch up. I really felt the spirit in my LDS lit class; we read a Eugene England article about the importance of the church in relation to the gospel, and I felt the need to correct my attitude a bit. Family home evening with Dave was great as well, we discussed the different accounts of the First Vision from a book I've been reading by Steven Harper.
[Spiritually focused, event and emotion driven]


3 comments:

  1. I really like your high description and physical feeling entry. It is just so raw and realistic even if you made it up. It helps me, an outsider, sympathize with you. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could easily feel visualize the difficulty of waking up in the morning as you described it and facing the cold morning. The fact that you were able to paint the same day from so many differing perspectives (positive, negative, neutral, spiritual, etc.) to the point where it felt like a totally different day each time says a lot about your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing, because I almost always start my journal entry with that to. haha
    I really liked the 4th one. It was like this what happen and this is why it matter that it happened that way.

    ReplyDelete