Saturday, September 7, 2019

Journaling: The Way I Overcame a Mental Illness







Journaling has healed me in ways nothing else can. During my late high school and early college years I suffered from toxic perfectionism. I worked extremely hard in school, magnified my callings, volunteered, worked a part time job, and was a good friend, yet I never felt like I was doing enough. Those feels hit their apex when I was on my mission. I was working the hardest I have ever worked in my life, yet I still felt completely worthless. hroughout this time and the hard months that followed, I received lots of council and guidance from people who loved and supported me. Looking back, their advice was good, but my mind was too clouded from this mental illness for me to comprehend it. It wasn’t until I started journaling my thoughts, feelings, and experiences that I was able to make any real progress. It shifted my perspective and helped me detached myself from my own detrimental thought processes. Even now, I continue to use journaling as a means to express myself and process my emotions and experiences. It’s been the way I have been able to see Gods hand in my life and feel confident in my abilities and move forward in my uncertainty. 

3 comments:

  1. Perfectionism really is such a hard thing to deal with. I'm so glad that journaling has been so helpful for you, and I'm glad that because of your journal you can look back on the good advice that others have given you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you mentioned journaling as a unique way of healing. It really does heal in a way that nothing else does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been through something similar on my mission. It was hard, but similarly I got through it through writing as well. It is admirable to see and hear about.

    ReplyDelete